By rapidly identifying the exact source of infection, our comprehensive panels:
1. Reduce unnecessary antibiotic prescribing
2. Reduce diagnostic and treatment delays
3. Improve quality of care and infection control
4. Improve patient outcomes
5. Reduce the overall economic burden of these infections
The Threat of Antibiotic-Resistance
50-75% of antibiotics prescribed for respiratory infections in the outpatient and ambulatory setting are unnecessary. (5,6)
As a result, bacteria is becoming resistant to antibiotics and prevents antibiotics from working properly when antibiotics are necessary. (7)
Antibiotic-resistant bacteria have become a critical threat to healthcare and are projected to kill more people worldwide than cancer by 2050. (8)
Rapid detection of infections is crucial for the appropriate use of antibiotics and overall cost savings to the healthcare system. (9)
Not only does a rapid infection panel contribute to antibiotic stewardship, it also improves patient outcomes. (10)
Ready to become antibiotic stewards?
1. Poehling KA e. The underrecognized burden of influenza in young children. - PubMed - NCBI. Ncbinlmnihgov. 2015. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16822994. Accessed October 26, 2015.
2. Scallan E., Hoekstra RM, Angulo FJ, Tauxe RV, Widdowson M-A, Roy SL, Jones JL, and Griffin PM. Foodborne illness acquired in the United States—major pathogens. Emerg Infect Dis. 2011; 17:7-15
3. Centers for Disease Control (Internet). About the flu; influenza: the disease. 2004. Cited 2015 October. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease.htm Accessed October 2015.
4. U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services. National Statistics on Intestinal Infections, 2010.
5. CDC Recommends All Nursing Homes Implement Core Elements to Improve Antibiotic Use. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2015/p0915-nursing-home-antibiotics.html. Published September 15, 2015. Accessed September 14, 2016.
6. CDC: 1 in 3 antibiotic prescriptions unnecessary. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2016/p0503-unnecessary-prescriptions.html. Published May 1, 2016. Accessed September 14, 2016.
7. What is Antibiotic Resistance and Why is it a problem? Alliance For The Prudent Use of Antibiotics. http://emerald.tufts.edu/med/apua/about_issue/antibiotic_res.shtml. Accessed August 8, 2016.
8. Taylor, Jirka, Marco Hafner, Erez Yerushalmi, Richard Smith, Jacopo Bellasio, Raffaele Vardavas, Teresa Bienkowska-Gibbs and Jennifer Rubin. Estimating the economic costs of antimicrobial resistance: Model and Results. Santa Monica, CA: RAND Corporation, 2014. http://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR911.html.
9. Sidlak M. Clinical Microbiology Costs for Routine Stool Specimen work-up versus Multiplex PCR GI Panel. 2015.
10. Pettit N, et al. Comparison of Turnaround Time (TAT) and Time to Oseltamivir Discontinuation between Two Respiratory Viral Panel Testing (RVP) Methodologies. 2015.